Thursday, September 18, 2014

Day 123

Today I went to the first day of a two day domestic violence training seminar.  It's been very informative and engaging.  Also a bit intimidating...more than a bit intimidating. I was by far the newest dispatcher there, and the trainer made commentary that the part on liability may scare some of us newbies off.  Yeah, it's scary.  This whole damn thing is scary.  You make a mistake and BOOM, you are at court, people may be dead, etc etc.  I mean, really, it's a lot to think about.  But yet, I'm trying. Someone has to do the job, and I'm still hoping I will eventually get good at it.  But it's also more than a bit overwhelming sometimes, and I find I don't have a lot of people I can vent to at present - so it's lonely goings through some serious self-doubt. 

I was really paying attention...but this is my handout from the class. I doodle a lot. I saw relationships I know/knew in that circle, and have experienced some myself.  We talked a lot about the psychology of victim and batterer both, and the effects abuse has on children.  Knowing victims of abuse, I am surprised at the totally opposite ways some young people deal with abuse at a young age.

Psychology fascinates me. I sort of wish that I could somehow be part of that crowd...but at the same time I don't want to be a counselor or anything.  I just want to study people. Like lab rats...



No comments:

Post a Comment